Keeping your windshield clean is important for its health and your own safety. There’s nothing more dangerous than driving when you can’t see where you are going. That means keeping your wiper fluid regularly topped up. But that doesn’t mean you have to buy windshield wiper fluid. Believe it or not, you can make your own.
Why make your own fluid?
There are a couple of reasons drivers may want to make their own wiper fluid rather than buy a pre-made solution. The first is that it can save you bucket loads of cash. It costs a fraction of the price to make your own compared to buying brand-name fluids. It’s also really easy to find these products, no matter where you live. What’s more, making your own solution is safer and more environmentally friendly than buying a pre-made alternative. These commercial wiper fluids contain methanol, which can be poisonous.
Here are the seven steps to making your own solution.
7 steps to make your own wiper fluid
There are dozens of different recipes on the internet for making your own wiper fluid. Most of them are excellent, but this one is our favorite. This one is made so that the fluid won’t freeze even when the temperature drops. We also add food coloring so you can tell it apart when storing the fluid in your garage.
You don’t need much to make this solution. The only ingredients are:
- Distilled water
- Liquid dish soap
- Rubbing alcohol
- Food coloring
And it’s really easy to make it, too:
- Find a large container to mix your windshield solution in. You don’t have to buy a new bucket, but make sure you clean it thoroughly before and after.
- Pour three liters of distilled water into the bucket
- Add 1 and a half cups of rubbing alcohol
- Add a quarter cup of dish soap
- Add a few drops of food coloring. You can add more later if the color isn’t bright
- Mix the solution with a paint stick or another instrument. Don’t use a spoon that you use in the kitchen.
- Fill up your car and then store the remaining liquid in a marked container secured tightly with a lid. If you have children keep it well out of reach.
When it comes to refilling your wiper fluid, there’s no difference between using your own solution or a store-bought alternative. You fill it up exactly the same way. The only difference is that you save loads of cash and the environment when using your own homemade solution.